Why should you join PRSSA?
As a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), you have access to a wide range of benefits that will enhance your knowledge of the public relations profession and provide you with resources and a network that will prepare you for a career. You will have opportunities to attend local, regional and national events, network with professionals and peers, obtain access to internship and job openings and participate in a variety of workshops, committees and activities to build your resume.
“The network and friendships you are able to build through PRSSA is unbelievably helpful. I can think of no career decision I have made that has been more directly beneficial to me than membership in PRSSA and PRSA.”
-MJ Clark, President at MJ Clark Communications
“PRSSA gave me the opportunity to hear from PR professionals and find out what their day-to-day responsibilities were really like. This helped me determine what aspects of the field best fit my strengths and what types of internships I should pursue.”
– Rebecca Odell, Communications Coordinator at Big Red Rooster
“Because of PRSSA I feel like I am ahead of the ‘class.’ During class I can tell that I understand the industry better and have more experience than those who don’t attend meetings.”
-Sam Bartlett, PRSSA/OU Alumna
“As a freshman and sophomore, I went on trips with the upperclassmen, like the agency tours and regional conferences. Not only did I learn from those experiences, but I was able to ask the juniors and seniors informal questions that I would have been too afraid to ask professionals.”
-Heather Bartman, ImPRessions CEO
What your Ohio University PRSSA membership offers
- Learn about the industry first-hand from weekly visiting professionals. Last year’s speakers came from Fahlgren Mortine, RMD Advertising, Northlich, CommHa, Cardinal Health, the Ohio State Department of Recreational Sports and everywhere in between
- Attend workshops and panels to build, maintain and target your resume and portfolio for internships and jobs.
- Network with professionals and students that can not only offer you advice, but also can connect you to future jobs and internships
- Participate in the mentor mentee program and various social events throughout the year, such as our Thanksgiving dinner
- Build your resume and portfolio by running for a leadership position, writing for our newsletter or joining a committee
- Volunteer at quarterly philanthropy and fundraising events
What your national PRSSA membership offers
- Scholarships and Awards
Be recognized for your accomplishments or get money for your education through one of the many scholarships and awards offered by PRSSA each year.
- Competitions Apply what you’ve learned in the classroom, add to your portfolio and work with high-profiles clients by taking the opportunity to compete in one of our many case study competitions.
- Leadership Add to your resume and gain leadership experience by running for an office in the PRSSA National Committee.
- JobCenter Visit PRSSA’s online database of internship and job contacts, available exclusively to dues-paying members. Get job-hunting tips, upload your resume and find the most recent internship and job opportunities. Email email@example.com to get access to this site.
- Events Network, learn and interact with public relations students from around the country at PRSSA events like National Conference, National Assembly and Regional Activities.
- News and Intelligence. Stay current on industry news and the latest trends in public relations through PRSSA and PRSA news and intelligence resources
- Social Media Start discussions and connect with PRSSA members from all over by plugging in to PRSSA social media.
How do you join PRSSA?
Join us every Monday at 6 p.m. in Schoonover Center room 145. If you like what you see, you can become a dues-paying member. Dues are $80 and cover you for the entire year. Cash or a check written to PRSSA can be turned into the VP of Finance or any executive board member during any PRSSA event.
You do not have to pay dues to come to PRSSA meetings, but only dues-paying members have access to our list serve, receive national updates, get access to our internship/job database, can attend national events and can run for an executive board position.
To learn more, feel free to contact any member of our executive board!