Scripps PRSSA was more than happy to welcome several recent graduates to speak to the Chapter about their careers and life post-grad.
Key highlights include:
- When you work for an agency, every day is different!
- “Know your worth and that everything you’re doing is right,” Emily O’Flynn on job searching.
- “If you’re interested in going to grad school or going abroad, make sure you do your research,” Margaret Mary Hicks on attending grad school.
- “Don’t take the first job you get if it’s not the job you want,” Alyssa Murtagh on accepting a post-grad position.
- When you are applying to jobs outside of Ohio, make sure you take your address off your resume.
- Find a way to incorporate your passions into something.
- When applying for grad school, ask yourself what you can do to stand out. Make sure your personal statement really embodies your intentions.
- “Be a person,” Jacob Sherer on interviewing. “You know you’re qualified, they know you’re qualified. It’s really just about filling in those gaps.”
- “It’s a whole different ballgame when you are there doing it in person,” Brigitte Meisse on how college prepared her for crisis communication.
- “Being laid off in my first job is nothing I expected… it felt like a breakup,” Brigitte Meisse on unemployment due to COVID-19.
- “Each company that you work for runs so differently,” Emily O’Flynn on how college prepared her for her current internship.
- “I don’t think anyone could’ve prepared for this. Everything was changing so rapidly… you really just have to learn as you go,” Jacob Sherer on being adaptable during COVID-19.
- Remember to listen to your audience.
- “Get a hobby,” Brigitte Meisse on life after graduation.
- “You’re probably going to start your job/internship and be very confused, and that’s OK! They will teach you and show you the way,” Alyssa Murtagh on trusting the process.
- “Rejection is temporary,” Emily O’Flynn on getting discouraged during the job search. “You’re all going to have jobs one day.”
- “Know that you can do anything you put your mind to,” Margaret Mary Hicks on confidence.
- Join the Triangle Program!!! Reach out to Margaret Mary for more on her experience.
- “Your friendships aren’t over once you leave Athens,” Jacob Sherer on maintaining your relationships after graduation.
Sydney Davis is a senior studying strategic communication and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Connect with her on LinkedIn here!