Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Gentry Bennet, Global Communications Coordinator at Dolby Laboratories to speak to the Chapter.
Gentry was former president of Ohio University’s PRSSA Chapter in 2016-2017. In college, Gentry completed internships at NR Media Group, Southwest Airlines, and Electronic Arts (EA) before settling full-time in the San Francisco Bay Area post-grad.
Here are some takeaways:
- “No one knows everything. There’s so much to learn, and that should be exciting!” Gentry on finding your way during internships and experiences outside of classes.”
- “Be yourself on social media. Show who you are and shed light onto your hobbies and personality.”
- “Overcome imposter syndrome! Believe in your talent for your craft and show off your strengths, they’re REAL!”
- “We don’t ever know exactly what we’re doing. A lot of times, we have to make it up and learn as we go.”
- “You can be professional online and still have a personality and sense of humor.” Gentry on how she still shares personal and fun content on social media!
- “Prioritize your mental and physical health. You can’t have a resume if you’re dead.”
- “Utilize your Bobcat network! It can help you gain experience and advance you in the industry in ways you never thought possible.”
- “Go on networking trips, you’ll be able to learn and see how different offices and companies work. Those are super important off-campus experiences.”
- Have any more questions for Gentry, or missed something said at tonight’s meeting? Shoot her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Cade Fleming is a junior Journalism-Strategic Communication major and current Scripps PRSSA VP of PR. Keep up with him on Twitter @cade_fleming