On Monday night, Scripps PRSSA welcomed Ohio University and Scripps alum, Mira Kuhar, back to campus!
Mira Kuhar graduated from Ohio University in 2016 with her Bachelor of Science in Journalism, focusing on strategic communication. She minored in business administration and received a certificate in social media studies. During her time at OHIO, she was an avid member of the Scripps Public Relations Student Society of America where she served on the executive board her junior year as the VP of PR, and her senior year as the VP of Finance.
She currently works as a Junior Account Executive at Allied Global Marketing’s Cleveland office where she represents a wide variety of film and entertainment clients such as Paramount Pictures, STXfilms, A24 Films, Food Network, Universal Home Entertainment and Playhouse Square.
In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, finding the best local craft brews, volunteering at a local cat shelter, working out and cooking healthy meals, supporting Cleveland sports and local businesses and spending time with friends and family.
Here are some takeaways:
- “A kind, positive, and enthusiastic attitude can go a long way.” -Mira Kuhar.
- When planning a client’s day, it’s important to be super hyper-focused on little details and take measures to coordinate every possible moment to avoid any problems.
- Get to know your professors. They’ll not only help you in class, but also during your job search!
- It’s important to make a connection between the client and their target audience, so the message is easily received.
- Pay your PRSSA dues and read the external updates because that’s where you could find an internship or job.
- Keep in touch with past internship contacts.
- Promotional events can add a fun twist to the traditional publicity-based campaigns.
- Make time in college for meaningful relationships. You’ll want to stay in touch with your college friends for the rest of your life.
- Make an Ohio University bucket list your senior year to make sure you don’t have any regrets after you graduate!
- Be mindful of your free time. Don’t be afraid to make time for yourself away from social media.
- It’s important to have good organization and time management skills, because you’ll often be managing multiple accounts and clients at one time.
Becky Harhai is a Journalism Strategic Communications major and can be found on Twitter @becky_harhai