Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Devin Hughes from Geben Communication to speak to the Chapter.
Devin Hughes is the director of client services for Geben Communication, a 30-person PR and social media agency based in Columbus. Reporting directly to Geben’s founder, in this role he maintains relationships with most of Geben’s clients to ensure their goals are being met, while also overseeing employee utilization and ultimately the profitability of the agency. Since graduating from Ohio University in 2011, Devin has worked at agencies his whole career, gaining experience on hundreds of different clients and the full communications spectrum.
Feel free to reach out to Devin at email@example.com!
Here are some key takeaways:
- Devin stressed the importance of networking. All of the internships and jobs he’s held in his career have been obtained through OU connections!
- “The connections you make now will make a HUGE difference.”
- Make the extra effort to go to PRSSA and 1804 Communication meetings. Devin explained that attending these sorts of meetings shaped the trajectory of his career.
- Put effort into networking and relationship building. Set time aside each week!
- “Networking doesn’t just benefit you… the Scripps PRSSA network is a powerful thing.”
- Geben’s motto: “We help startups grow into bigger brands and help established brands think and act more like startups.”
- Ways to stand out in an interview: results driven, organized, initiative, ambiguity, collaboration.
- In an interview, show your end outcome. What did you do? Don’t underrate talking about your college experience!
Sydney Davis is a senior studying strategic communication and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA! Follow her on Twitter @_sydneyadavis.