Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Rod Colon from Rod Colon Consulting to speak to the Chapter.
Rod Colon has shared 25 years of experience as a corporate HR management insider specializing in Diversity and Inclusion, professional networking and career coaching. He graduated from Georgian Court University and was inducted into the Georgian Court University Alumni Court of Honor in 2011.
Rod has accomplished many things in his career including publishing his first book, Win the Race for the 21st Century Jobs. He also hosts a new and interactive weekly call-in radio show entitled Own Your Career: The Weekly Summit for the CEO of Me, Inc. Follow Rod on Twitter @RodColon!
Here are some key takeaways:
- As journalism students, you have an advantage over your peers if you leverage what you are learning.”
- Public Relations has a lot to do with your ability to leverage communication.
- Knowing where you are and where you’re going is important for many reasons: resume, cover letter, elevator pitch, etc.
- Ask yourself “What makes me unique? What separates me from everyone else?”
- Grow your LinkedIn network! Your ability to stay connected is critical.
- The combo of career ownership with knowing who you really are is a key factor in your success as an individual.
- “Networking is much more than business.”
Sydney Davis is a senior studying strategic communication and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA! Follow her on Twitter @_sydneyadavis.