Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Aaron Brown from Fahlgren Mortine to speak to the Chapter.
Aaron Brown is an executive vice president at Fahlgren Mortine, which is a nationally recognized integrated communications company headquartered in Columbus. He is responsible for growing and marketing the agency’s business, identifying and hiring new team members, and leading the firm’s business-to-business practice area. Aaron joined Fahlgren Mortine after graduating from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism in 2001 where we was honored as the outstanding graduating senior.
Follow Aaron on Twitter @abrownFM!
Here are some key highlights:
- How do you stand out? Start with the intangibles… strive to make an impact.
- Fahlgren Mortine avergaes about 150-200 clients per year. Each person in the agency tends to have about five clients.
- “Agency is a great place to start to build your career.”
- “Celebrate your own unique successes.”
- You don’t need to have 50 internships to get a job. Strive for at least one GREAT internship!
- Level up by leaning into the most vital capabilities supporting marketing strategy: market research and competitive insights, analytics, digital commerce, etc.
- Robots aren’t coming; they’re here! Marketing executives predict artificial intelligence will revolutionize their industry by 2020.
- 80% believe AI technology will revolutionize the marketing industry over the next five years.
- In circumstances of controversial questions, how you respond is critical. Remember, it’s okay to have an opinion!
- “You have to find a way to have lasting relationships. Someone is always coming up. Find a way to stay relevant.”
In order to create an impact, remember these intangibles:
- Be a challenger: Challenge conventional wisdom. There is almost always a better way.
- Active vs. Passive: You must be present to win.
- Ambitions: Big results require big ambitions.
- Curious: It doesn’t require special talents. Be passionately curious and ask questions.
- Detailed: No detail is too small to escape close attention.
- Emotional: Laugh. Think. Have your emotions moved to tears.
Sydney Davis is a senior strategic communication major and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Follow her on Twitter @_sydneyadavis!