Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Nanci Schwartz from The CommConnection, Inc. to speak to the Chapter.
Nanci’s clients enjoy the far-reaching publicity and grass-roots communications strategies she employs to generate positive exposure. Her professionalism and attention to detail is key to developing strong media relationships and community partnerships. She is a proactive, loyal client-partner who demonstrates leadership, innovation and a focus on the bottom line. She is a strong writer and her work gets the medias’ attention.
Her diverse client-base has included medical, tourism and hospitality, financial, telecommunications, retail, natural products, veterinary, education, not-for-profit and manufacturing organizations. She has been recognized internally and externally for leadership and innovation that has generated positive exposure for her clients. Company growth attributed to client referrals.
Here are some key highlights:
- Employee and external communications offer sponsorships with various companies which can be a lot of fun.
- Crisis communication is a skill that many companies are looking for in applicants.
- As a PR professional, it’s always an asset to be well-rounded in multiple areas (social media, website design, social affairs, etc.)
- When you’re a part of a large institution, you are typically supporting multiple teams with similar goals.
- At an agency, you deal with a lot of multitasking and have the opportunity to work with multiple clients.
- You may be in charge of recruiting business at some point. If this is the case, effective communication is key to success.
- Video is becoming a very important aspect of strategic communication.
- Working for an agency allows for more flexibility when it comes to work/life balance, however, nothing is ever certain.
- Take advantage of professional development opportunities – they don’t just have to do with communications. Look into leadership workshops.
- After graduation, consider getting your APR! It will make you better at what you do.
- Also consider getting your CPRC post-graduation.
- Volunteering not only helps others in need, but it also gives you networking opportunities and real-world experience.
- “The people that are most successful are the people that give back”
- There are going to be so many detours and changes throughout your journey. Don’t be afraid of change and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.
Sydney Davis is a senior studying journalism, strategic communication and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Connect with her on LinkedIn!