Scripps PRSSA was happy to welcome Brian Hammel on Monday, March 22. Brian Hammel is a Senior Account Executive at Fahlgren Mortine. Brian knows the best solutions to public relations problems are found when creativity meets strategy.
Whether he’s crafting social media content for a national consumer brand, developing a media relations plan to garner impactful coverage for a local event, mining for insights in earned and owned reporting, or collaborating with journalists at Forbes, USA Today and Southern Living, Brian leverages his expertise in integrated marketing and communications to drive real business results for his clients. Brian was named a 2019 Bulldog Award PR Up-and Comer and, most recently, the 2020 Central Ohio PRSA Rising Star.
- Take advantage of soft skills, get certifications, because it can set you apart.
- Show interest when networking to make it more of an authentic relationship.
- Be open to new things, but know your value when searching for the right fit for your career.
- Utilize the virtual practice now to help yourself excel in your future career.
- Read about the industry and take notes to better understand your client.
- Make sure that your resume proves that you add value and you’re invested in the position.
- STORYTELLING. This is what it’s all about! This is so important to remember in this industry.
Brian gave three core tips throughout the meeting that are important to keep in mind in your future career plans.
A few tips:
- Invest in yourself
- It’s your responsibility to stay up-to-date in news and technology.
- Pay attention to vertical publications.
- Make yourself a better practitioner.
- Say “yes” to the things that scare you
- Whatever you may be interested in, there are so many opportunities.
- Get involved in projects that put you outside of your comfort zone. Challenge is a good thing!
- There are so many industries you may not be interested in, but try anyway.
- Don’t burn bridges. They often lead to open doors or windows.
- Previous supervisors are a great connection. Utilize these relationships!
- Even if there isn’t a job opening, maintaining these connections are crucial.
- Staying connected can start small, but lead to something bigger in the end.
Kelly Lambers is a junior studying journalism, strategic communication and is the 2020-21 VP of Member Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Follow her on Twitter here.