There is still time to buy your PRSSA swag! The t-shirts are $15 and stickers are $3.
It’s about that time…
- Dues are due February 20- $80 (cash or check)
Want to blog?
- Sign up any time with the link on our Facebook page or this calendar. Contact Jennica Lurie with any questions!
- Get ready Bobcats! The 12-hour dance marathon is this Saturday, February 11.
No Valentine’s Day plans? We’ve got you covered.
- Dinner with Cision and PR Newswire:
- Talk to any eboard member or email email@example.com
- After dinner head to Bird Arena:
- Ice skate with ImPRessions at 9 p.m. Make sure you bring $3.50 to rent skates.
PR Boot Camp
- Feb 22: interviews and cover letters, media relations
- March 1: SM analytics and crisis communication
- Both at 6:30-8 in RTV 281
(Net)Working Your Way to the Top
- Learn valuable networking skills with PRSSA and ImPRessions
- Bring your laptop and dress professionally
- February 15, 6:30-8 p.m. in Schoonover 145
Interested in running for E Board?
- Info session:
- February 20 at 7 p.m. in Alden 319
- Megan Vehar
- Follow her on Twitter @megglesv25
Diversity Panel Highlights
We were lucky to have five speakers come to the meeting the week:
- Ibrahim Alnamlah- Represented the Muslim Students Association at Ohio University
- Jody Ganschinietz- Represented the Association for Women in Communications at Ohio University
- Kris Perez- President of Scripps Hispanic Network
- Lauren Cartwright- PR Chair for the Black Student Communication Caucus
- delfin- Director of the LGBT Center at Ohio University
Learn more about the organizations the speakers represent:
The Muslim Students Association at Ohio University
- Look out for their meeting on February 19 that will be filled with diverse stories from Muslim students, as well as food! (Look for an email with more info)
The Association for Women in Communications at Ohio University
- Overall they do lots with resume building skills and philanthropy work with the Athens Dog Shelter.
Scripps Hispanic Network
- This is a relatively new organization that meets at 7:30 on Mondays (right after PRSSA!) and discusses current events in the media.
Black Student Communication Caucus
- Next semester look out for a variety of events ranging from poetry slams to African-American journalists coming to speak.
LGBT Center at Ohio University
- They have meetings on Tuesdays at 6 in the LGBT Center discussing sexuality.
Visit their websites for more info!
Here are some of the questions we covered:
Q– In terms of OU campus media, do you think we have a diverse representation?
A– Ganschinietz said it’s not bad, but “just because we are doing okay, doesn’t mean that we need to stop pushing”
Q– How can we (as campus media) help with creating diversity?
A– Perez said to just start a conversation. “The only way it will change is if people speak up”
Q– Any tips for people who aren’t as educated but want to be allies and show respect?
A– Cartwright said to just ask. “I’d rather you look stupid for five seconds than go through your entire life being ignorant.” Just remember to be polite and respectful with your questions!
Can’t wait to see you all at next week’s meeting!
This week’s meeting recap is brought to you by Hannah Miller! Hannah is a sophomore Strategic Communications major. Follow her on Twitter @feefifohannah!