Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Andrew Chwalik from Walsh University to speak to the Chapter.
After receiving his undergraduate degree in marketing from Walsh University and his postgraduate degree in marketing from Trinity College Dublin, Andrew has gone on to develop digital marketing strategies for Fortune 500 companies and mom-and-pop-shops alike.
He’s traveled around Bolivia speaking about leadership, started his own digital marketing agency, opened an ice cream shop, and is now a marketing professor at Walsh University.
Follow Andrew on Twitter @andrewchwalik!
Here are some key takeaways:
- Your passion is not your job
- Understand how you measure happiness
- Distill the activities you enjoy to the “action”
- Creating content and trying new ideas
- It’s an evolving journey, not a destination
- “College is the time to refine your passions”
- Travel and trying new things is SO important
- If you don’t have business cards, get them!
- “Get out of your comfort zone is one of the best things you can PRACTICE because it’s a scary thing to do”
- Understand your learning style
- Add to your experimental bucket
- Never stop hunting for ways to fulfill your passion
- “Failure is the place where you experience so much so that you can continue moving forward”
- Continue measuring your happiness
- Structure + hard work + passion = success
- Take time to stop and enjoy the ride
- How to be a Marketer:
- Clarify your area of expertise
- Don’t be afraid to get creative
- Make networking part of your daily routine
- Get interested in data and analytics
- Over communicate with clients
- Build your personal brand
Sydney Davis is a senior studying strategic communication and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Follow her on Twitter @_sydneyadavis.