Scripps PRSSA was more than pleased to welcome Kara Ferrara from Abercrombie & Fitch Co. to speak to the Chapter.
Kara is currently on the Communications & PR team at Abercrombie & Fitch Co., where she focuses on external corporate communications and public relations support for the company’s global, iconic brands. Aside from retail, she has had previous public relations experience in a variety of industries, including tourism, higher education and healthcare. Kara is a 2017 graduate of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, where she completed a major in strategic communication with a marketing minor.
Here are some key highlights:
- Our Values: Our culture and values are the foundation of our commitments to our associate, customers and stakeholders.
- Starting an agency is great to get your feet wet and figure out what industry you enjoy.
- At an agency, you learn a lot in a short period of time.
- “Every day at Abercrombie is different.”
- Kara is responsible for the following day-to-day: media relations, media monitoring, writing, company statements, earnings communications, interview briefings/prep, issues management, communications plans, LinkedIn content, cause marketing, and ad hoc PR support – Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, Hollister, A&F Challenge.
- “Every brand is unique and their audiences are different, so it keeps things fresh even though I’m in-house.”
- “PR and communications can fit in anywhere. Everyone needs that guidance and support.”
AGENCY VS. CORPORATE
- AGENCY: multiple focuses, start-up feel, work with many different teams/groups of people, client pressures
- CORPORATE: one focus, historical/structured, one main team, business/customer pressures
Sydney Davis is a senior studying strategic communications and the current VP of Public Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Connect with her on LinkedIn here!