Scripps PRSSA was excited to welcome Eli Burris on Monday, April 5. He is a social media specialist for Ohio University. Eli is also a 2016 OHIO alumnus. His senior year, he worked as a communications intern for University College and served as social media manager for Bobcat Student Orientation the summer after graduation. After graduating, he was a communications intern at Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and social media coordinator in Dublin, Ohio. He has special interests in photography and has been instrumental in the improvement of social media for the University.
- Highlight your brand for what it does best (ex. every season at OHIO is beautiful).
- Utilize videos on your platform. This is a super great way to engage your followers!
- Don’t be afraid to use the emotional appeal. It’s okay to make people feel reminiscent and happy. This is a positive response!
- Know the audience. It will be easier to appeal to them if you do.
- Scheduling or doing posts manually are up to your preference.
- Learn how to separate personal social media from your company’s brand.
- Write different options for copy to understand the best fit.
Eli shared with us The Three C’s that he thinks are crucial when running a social media platform. They are all needed but as long as one is strong, then it won’t be lacking.
- Content- The attention grabber.
- This can be photos, memes, graphic designs etc.
- Copy- Write great captions.
- It can be harder than one may think.
- This is how the text is laid out. Break things up by paragraphs and incorporate emojis.
- Clock- The timing of the posts is crucial.
- Understand the audience and how to time the posts.
Kelly Lambers is a junior studying journalism, strategic communication and is the 2020-21 VP of Member Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Follow her on Twitter here.