Scripps PRSSA welcomed Dorothy Ballowe on Monday, March 13. Dorothy Ballowe is a Global Publicity & Marketing Communications Coordinator at The Walt Disney Company. She works in the Media and Entertainment Distribution department where she plans and executes marketing campaign strategies for digital movie releases. Some notable campaigns Dorothy has been part of include Soul, Raya and the Last Dragon, Bohemian Rhapsody and The Handmaid’s Tale.
Dorothy graduated from Boston University in 2018 and immediately started a position at Twentieth Century Fox. It wasn’t until after Disney purchased Fox that she made the transition and began crafting campaigns for various digital releases. In 2020 she won a PRSA PRism award for her work on the Ford v Ferrari campaign. Dorothy mentioned she loves her position because she can apply creativity to her work rather than only working in traditional PR.
- It doesn’t matter what field you have previous experience in. Your skills can be applied in any industry.
- Working in the entertainment industry can involve a lot of unconventional and unexpected tasks.
- Creative brainstorming is a very effective way to develop ideas.
- Reach out employees of a company you want to work for. Showing dedication to an organization helps you stand out from other applicants.
- Take a crisis communications class if you have the opportunity.
- Utilize your connections. Build authentic relationships and take time to learn about the person your connecting with.
- Don’t be afraid to communicate your ideas no matter how crazy they may seem.
Macy Cantrell is a junior studying journalism, strategic communication and is the 2020-21 VP of External Relations for Scripps PRSSA. Follow her on Twitter here.